Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Quit Smoking 101: Lesson 6 - Preparing for the Big Day

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


Lesson 6 - Preparing for the Big Day
Terry Martin
From Terry Martin, your Guide to Smoking Cessation

You've done some work to get your mind wrapped around the idea of quitting tobacco. Hopefully you've started a list of reasons to quit smoking, and it's your first entry in your new quit journal. You've read up on the health risks of smoking and learned about the benefits others have noticed since quitting. You've decided whether you'll use a NRT to help you quit smoking, or perhaps you've decided to try a non-nicotine quit aid such as Chantix.

Today we'll look at what you should think about as you decide on your quit date, as well as what you can do to prepare your environment for the big day. Finally, we'll touch on support, and give you links to a number on online communities where you can connect with others who are quitting tobacco too.

Don't fear quitting - it has never killed anyone. The same cannot be said of smoking.

Embrace your quit and a smoke free future for yourself!

Picking your Quit Smoking Date
What to Consider When Choosing Your Quit Date
It just makes sense to try to choose a time to quit when your life is under less stress and external pressure. Things you should consider when deciding on your personal quit date are detailed in this article.

Preparing for Your Quit Smoking Date
Education, Quit Journals, and a Check-up
Run through a checklist of things to do to prepare for your quit date, some of which we've covered already in this e-course. A refresher never hurts though, because good preparation puts you into the driver's seat when you quit smoking, and will help you get your mind geared up for the big day.

Quit Smoking Supplies
Gather some supplies. The first several weeks of smoking cessation can be difficult, and you'll probably get a little fidgety. The list of items in this article will help you weather the urge to smoke more easily.

Quit Smoking Support - Online
Smoking Cessation Forum at About.com
The Smoking Cessation Forum at About.com provides some of the best support available anywhere on the Internet. This great group of people has new members joining daily, as well as plenty of folks with more smoke-free time under their belts to help guide the way. Browse through and read as a guest, or register for free to post messages of your own.

BecomeAnEx
Supported by Mayo Clinic, The American Cancer Society and The National Cancer Institute among others, BecomeAnEx.org is an informative website for quitters and has an active online forum community.

QuitNet Smoking Cessation Support
QuitNet operates in association with Boston University School of Public Health. Become a member(free membership) and gain access to their support forum.

Inspriational Quit Stories
Desperate to Smoke; Desperate to Quit
From Lesly: "Three years ago I was a desperate woman. I was desperate to quit smoking -- I was desperate to smoke. I was sick to death of smoking -- I loved to smoke. I hated how I smelled -- I loved the smell of my smokes. I hated the burn holes, fears, sickness -- I loved the rituals. I hated being told I should quit -- I knew I should quit. Most of all, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I hated feeling stupid. Bottom line."

Leo's Quit Tips
From Leo: "I recently celebrated my 2-year anniversary of quitting smoking. Well, of finally quitting. Like most smokers, I had tried to quit smoking many times and failed. But this quit attempt stuck, and I'd like to share the top 10 things that made this quit successful when the others failed."


This email is written by:
Terry Martin
Smoking Cessation Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Missing a lesson? Click here.

About U. is our collection of free online courses designed to help you learn a new skill, solve a problem, get something done, or just learn more about your world. Sign up now, and we will email you lessons on a daily or weekly basis.
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the About.com 'Quit Smoking 101' email. If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2013 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment