Wednesday, December 2, 2015

More Than a Day for Sex and Disability

Tomorrow is the UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities.  I've never liked the name of the day as it seems to slide around the important question of who or what we're meant to be paying more attention to, but any excuse to talk about sex and disability is a good one.   ~  Cory
 

 

Someone forward you this email? No Sweat!
Sign up here to get your own
If you're having trouble viewing this email,
click here
Follow Us
Like us
Pin us
More Than a Day for Sex and Disability
Tomorrow is the UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities.  I've never liked the name of the day as it seems to slide around the important question of who or what we're meant to be paying more attention to, but any excuse to talk about sex and disability is a good one.   ~  Cory
 

 

Cory Silverberg
Sexuality Expert
International Day of Disability: The Sex Edition
Forget about this one day thing.  Here's a list of recommended books, articles, films, podcasts, and websites to start (or continue) your exploration of sexuality and disability for weeks, months, and years.  Plus, for the keeners among you, two small actions to raise awareness that you can do from anywhere.
READ NOW
Like us
Ableism Before Sex
Ableism is like that guy who always cuts you off before you can even start a sentence.  Actually it's like an invisible person inside your mouth, inside your mind, that redirects your thoughts before you think them.  It may be the biggest obstacle to sex, and it's definitely one we all need to deal with.
READ NOW
Like us
Sex After Combat
There isn't one way that being deployed and living in an active combat zone screws you up.  There are lots of ways.  And even if sex seems unrelated to combat, once members of the military return home they are never exactly the same, and neither are their sex lives.  Which doesn't mean there can't be healthy and great sex after combat.  But usually it takes some time.
READ NOW
Like us
Seeing Over Sex
An About.com reader writes: I'm a 26 year-old blind female and I've been with my boyfriend, now husband, for nearly four years. He's sweet, funny, smart, and the ideal guy. But sex is a problem. We've lost a lot of the intensity we had before and I'm worried about him getting bored.  I feel guilty that I can't see enough to know when I look sexy, I'm not even sure how to do that. I don't know what my question is exactly but I'm writing to you as I'm afraid to bring this up with anyone around me because I feel like they wouldn't be able to separate the sex from the disability, and in some ways I think that's good, but in others not so much.

 

READ NOW
Like us
Featured Articles
Legal Abuse: When a Spouse Uses Family Court To Exact Revenge
Will Your Midlife Crisis Lead To Divorce?
6 Things A Divorce Lawyer Can Do For You Before You File For Divorce
6 of the Worst Gifts to Give a Friend
How to Deal With Loneliness
5 Realities Of Divorce That No One Tells You, Or Do They?
Week Four: Advent Calendar
How NOT to Get Your Husband's Attention
Advertisement
About Sexuality  |  Follow Us
Like us
Pin us
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Sexuality newsletter.
If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10036
© 2015 About.com - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment