Friday, October 7, 2016

Lies We're Told About Sex

People smarter than me have tried to explain to me that talking about sex myths is a bit misleading.  I think the problem is that saying something is a "myth" takes away the sometimes intentional and always systematic way that we the public (or publics) come to believe certain things.  Myth, I guess, sounds kind of magical, mythical.  

By this point in the conversations I'm usually in way over my head and they are usually looking around for someone more attractive to impress with their large craniums, so I'm not sure what other words to use.  Which is why, when I want to talk about some of the misconceptions most of us have when it comes to sex, I whip out the M-word.  If you've got a better one, let me know!  ~  Cory
Someone forward you this email? No Sweat!
Sign up here to get your own
If you're having trouble viewing this email,
click here
Follow Us
Like us
Pin us
Lies We're Told About Sex
People smarter than me have tried to explain to me that talking about sex myths is a bit misleading.  I think the problem is that saying something is a "myth" takes away the sometimes intentional and always systematic way that we the public (or publics) come to believe certain things.  Myth, I guess, sounds kind of magical, mythical.  

By this point in the conversations I'm usually in way over my head and they are usually looking around for someone more attractive to impress with their large craniums, so I'm not sure what other words to use.  Which is why, when I want to talk about some of the misconceptions most of us have when it comes to sex, I whip out the M-word.  If you've got a better one, let me know!  ~  Cory
Cory Silverberg
Sexuality Expert
9 Lies We're Told About Sex  

One of the few constants in life, from the minute we're born to the day we die, is that other people lie to us about sex.  These lies are less of the the-fish-was-THIS-big kind and more of the there-ain't-no-fish-in-that-lake kind.  Here are some of the doozies.

READ NOW
Like us
Pin us
a human looking robot
5 Myths About Sex and Technology  

Our public conversations about sex and technology are so weighed down by equal parts sex panic and technophobia, that it's hard to even find a space to ask questions and get answers.  One way to start creating that space is to address the problem head on.  

READ NOW
Like us
Pin us
7 Masturbation Myths  

Lies about solo sex may be the oldest organized form of sexual mythology.  Sex education has done a pretty good job of dispelling most of these myths, but they persist.

READ NOW
Like us
Pin us
11 Myths about Disability and Sexuality  

Chances are almost everything you know about sex and disability is wrong.  Including the belief that information about sex and disability isn't something that is relevant to you. 

READ NOW
Like us
Pin us
Featured Articles
Dede and Pat Robertson Marriage Status
4 Types of Food That Can Ruin Your Romantic Evening
The 6 Worst Meals For A First Date
Dolly Parton Shares Why Her Nearly 50-Year-Old Marriage with Carl Dean Works
Fast Facts about Lydia Clarke and Charlton Heston's Marriage
Having The Sex Talk With Your Spouse
Coming Out (While Gay And Married)
Is BigChurch the Christian Dating Site for You?
Advertisement
About Sexuality  |  Follow Us
Like us
Pin us
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Sexuality newsletter.
If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10036
© 2015 About.com - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment